rifle theaterResources Available for Brownfields Redevelopment

NWCCOG EDD, in partnership with the Kansas State University Technical Assistance for Brownfields program (TAB), held a workshop on April 24th in Gypsum which was designed to assist communities in dealing with Brownfields properties. This workshop focused on identifying State, Federal, and other financial and technical resources to assist in resolving environmental and redevelopment issues for communities.

What are Brownfields?

Brownfields are real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. Reuse and redevelopment of abandoned, idled, or underutilized properties is both a challenge and an opportunity. Putting these sites back into productive use can serve as a catalyst for local economic revitalization.


There are several financial resources as well as technical assistance available to communities for mitigating the environmental issues with brownfields, as well as for redevelopment of those sites. These include:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – assessment grants, cleanup grants, revolving loan fund grants, environmental workforce development & job training grants, area-wide planning grants, targeted brownfields assessments. Contact Ted Lanzano –; 303.312.6596.

Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment – State brownfields grants, targeted brownfields assessments, voluntary clean-up program, brownfields revolving loan fund, Colorado brownfields tax credit. Contact: Doug Jamison –; 303.692.3404.

Colorado Division of Oil and Public Safety – resources for old gas stations and storage tank sites including petroleum storage tank fund, petroleum cleanup and redevelopment fund. Contact: Tim Kelley – 303.318.8525.

U.S. Economic Development Administration – Public Works and Economic Adjustment Assistance grants may include construction, non-construction, technical assistance and revolving loan fund projects. EDA Planning grants assists in creating regional economic development plans designed to stimulate and guide the economic development efforts of a community or region.

Colorado Department of Local Affairs – Energy and Mineral Impact Assistance grant program, Community Development Block Grants. Contact: Greg Winkler –

USDA Rural Development – Community Facilities Direct Loan & Grant Program, Business & Cooperative Programs, Rural Business Enterprise Grants, Rural Economic Development Loans, Rural Energy for America Program. Contact: PJ Howe,, 970.824.3476 x111.

Please visit the TAB website for more information including links to the presentations given at the April 24th workshop.For more information on the TAB program contact Mark Walker,

Photo: New Ute Theater in Rifle, CO – built on a former brownfield. The success story presentation can be found on the TAB website.